The mountains in Vancouver have the ability to captivate the soul in any season. Creating the ultimate family summer vacation to Whistler is something that you will remember for a lifetime!
In the winter months, people from across the globe are drawn to Whistler for its sparkling white snow and its powder-filled ski slopes. But in the summer, Whistler comes alive with a beauty and magic that is completely unique to that season.
Here’s how to plan the perfect trip to Whistler Blackcomb in the summer.
Begin Dreaming of Your Adventures in Whistler
The world is your playground once you arrive in Whistler. A new adventure is to be had around every corner; you just have to decide which one to embark on next.
To get a taste of what Whistler has to offer, set aside a day to enjoy the Peak 2 Peak 360 Experience.
According to Tourism Whistler, this gondola ride links you from Whistler to the Blackcomb mountains. You sit inside a glass-bottomed gondola, which allows you to look down on the incredible valley below.
You can enjoy hiking trails, tours and even mountainside restaurants along the way. While sightseeing in the area, you might even spot a bear in its natural habitat!
Set the Date
Choosing the right time to visit Whistler during the summer off-season will help you make the most out of your vacation, and the right time will vary based on what you want to see and do while you are there! That window might also provide whistler deals which result in even further savings for the family.
To enjoy any of the amazing outdoor activities that can be enjoyed in Whistler once the snow has melted away, you will be safe to book your trip anytime from late May through early September.
If you want to enjoy some of the festivals and events that come to Whistler in the summer, you will want to book your trip around those dates.
For example, according to Fodor’s;
- the Tough Mudder competition comes to the region in June
- the Whistler Longboard Festival takes place in July
- and Kokanee Crankworx, a famed mountain bike festival, arrives each year in August. Check out the Whistler Cranxworks Schedule Here
Book Affordable Airfare
The trick to booking affordable airfare for your family vacation to Whistler is selecting the right airport. While the Vancouver International Airport is closest in proximity to Whistler, it can be hard for families traveling to the area to secure cheap flights.
According to the Whistler Blackcomb ski resort, not as many airlines offer direct flights into Vancouver, particularly from the United States.
Many times, families can save money by flying into Seattle, as several discount airlines such as Frontier and Virgin Airlines offer direct flights into the Seattle Sea-Tac Airport.
Once you have arrived at Sea-Tac, you can enjoy a scenic drive up into Canada and Whistler Resort that lasts for about five hours. It’s a wonderful way to kick-start your vacation together, not to mention an easy way to save money!
Search for Things to Do
When you are creating your itinerary for your vacation, you need to remember that there are a variety of different things to do in Whistler that will appeal to the interests of everyone in your family.
- Those who are passionate about the arts will want to spend a day at the Audain Art Museum. According to Tourism Whistler, this is the newest art museum in Canada, and it features work from the most prominent artists in the country.
- Those who delight in an eclectic, locally-sourced meal will be thrilled with the farm-to-table movement that is burgeoning in Whistler.
- Be sure to plan a dinner at Araxi, a Whistler restaurant that features a unique menu crafted from local produce grown in the Pemberton Valley.
- For those who enjoy a night of music, head to the Whistler Olympic Park, where free summer concerts are held most evenings during the summer months.
Know These Tips for Traveling With Your Family to Whistler
- Stay social while you are visiting. The hashtag to use is #OnlyinWhistler, and you can incorporate it into your Facebook, Twitter and Instagram posts from your vacation. Get your family in on the hashtag action, and connect with others who also love Whistler while on vacation!
- Don’t forget about the simple moments. Sometimes the best memories are made on vacation when you are taking a break from all the exciting adventures and tours. Grab an ice cream with your family. A mountain biking adventure. Enjoying a picnic by the lake. Incorporate these minor moments into your trip, and enjoy the big memories that are made along the way.
If you are looking for a family ski vacation to whistler in the winter months, make sure to check out our top tips post below!
READ MORE: 3 Tips for Family Ski Vacations to Whistler